Friday, January 25, 2008

Japaaaan

So Justin is no longer in Canada. Nor will he be back there in the near future. However, for the purposes of continuity, this blog will remain "Justin in Canada" until its close (which, incidentally, will be relatively soon).

So I left Vancouver the morning after that last post. I went around to the houses and said bye to everyone, went for a drink with Robin and Edwina (alcohol still doesn't agree with me too much), and yeah, generally tidied everything up.

I decided to bus it to the airport (as I was too stingy to part with the $40 cab fare) which turned out ok. Except for my camera falling out of the pouch while I was pushing the suitcase and sliding across the ground - it now has a bunch of scratches on one side. It isn't too bad though. I'll live.

But yeah, a lot of pushing and shoving but I eventually made it to the airport, and then waited around for 3 hours. Had Tim Horton's as my last meal in Canada (it's like a Canadian Starbucks rival, except it actually has a little bit of real food), before a 10 hour plane flight in which I slept, and watched Rush Hour 3 and Bourne Supremacy, both of which were fairly decent.

Got to Tokyo, got through customs easily enough, and then made my way to the hostel. Took a rather long time to get there, but made it there in the end, with the help of a couple of strangers.

The people here in Japan are as helpful as you've heard btw. They'll stop and ask if you need help if you look confused with a map in your hand (I've tested this thoroughly). Today I was walking down the street, crossed it to cross-reference a map with the one on a sign, and a lady who had passed me and was 15 metres down the road saw me, and came back to ask if I needed any help.

I've also decided that they're really friendly to people who can't speak Japanese - very willing to help. Also a good thing for me.

Got to the hostel after someone who was staying there saw me with the printout and asked if I was going there. Also handy.

Checked in fine and spent the night trying to figure out what to do. It turned out that during the flight I never made it to the night, so I had quite a long day that day.

Today I've come to Kamakura, which was the capital of Japan in about 1100-1300 AD. It's got lots of temples and a big bronze Buddha. I'm staying in a hotel at the moment - private room with a bed, lounge chair, tv, fridge and air conditioner. The bathrooms are shared, but really, really nice, and the toilet has a heated seat (which I haven't sat on =().

And that's about it. Going back to Tokyo tomorrow - probably try to stay in a capsule hotel thingo (even though its more expensive than a normal hostel). Disneyland on Saturday, going to walk around a bit on Sunday and see some cosplay (yay for Japanese-ness) and I'm not sure what else I'm doing.

I'll ask my little guide thingo =P Shall talk to you all soon. Back in a week!

Byes

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo, first comment!

Uhh, yay for Japan.

And that's enough commenting on the blog...

We didn't make 10 comments on the last post. =(. Have we made 10 at all yet?

Perhaps it would be better to say that there was no way over (or under) the traffic around the AdT?

You didn't spell whingeing wrong, I was just surprised it had a 'e'. Doesn't make sense to me.

Apparently Mr Bushman uses a eucalypt cutting, although where he gets it I do not know.

Hmm... your discrete metric doesn't really sound very useful for counting people, but I suppose that's the point. It probably does fail injectivity, but perhaps we should be more rigorous in discussing what actually should be injective.

'It strikes me that Brendan's and my ramblings...' probably works. If I knew anything about grammar I could sound smart now, but I think the rule is along the lines of 'you should be able to cross out either of the possessive things (and the 'and') and still have the sentence sound about right, because something about modifiers and nouns and possessives and other grammar terms and invariance under listing and stuff'.

How's AMSI summer school? Winning?

I suppose in the same spirit I should stop ab

Anonymous said...

Woo 2nd post! Havent left a comment for ages. Been busy with the AO and forgot your blog address. If i commented earlier i could of made last post have 10 posts, but theres no point now :p. I c u have been travelling alot, Did u even gamble, as u sort of left that out? And im sure everyone is still interested in that pink barbie kite story!!! hopefully its in next post.... Didn't know u were going to Japan. Since u r a nice friend im sure u will buy everyone who has posted a comment on this blog a cheap dvd....... Cheers in advance :p

Anonymous said...

Good work Kyle for reminding us about the pink barbie kite! When you get back Justin...oh just you wait! Ve haff vays of makink you TALK!

Anyway, yes, another reason to note how Firefox is superior to Explorer (which we are forced to use here): in Firefox I can have this window open and type in it, but then scroll up and down Justin's blog entry with the mouse scrolly button thing, and thus comment as I read. Do that in IE...chances...

Hooray for helpful friendly Japanese people, maps, and strangers in foreign lands speaking English.

Are the capsule room things really hotels? Hotel means something comfortable to me! Whatever, sounds very cool that you are going to stay in one. Enjoy the cosplay, etc. ...oh, you've already done that, right?

Little guide thingo?

Belated Happy Australia Day!

Safe trip home!

p.s. We did (legitemately) hit 10 comments in the previous post, as I had replied before I read that the aim was 10. So it wasn't a 'random comment yes lets just bump up the index' comment.

Anonymous said...

Where's Tania got to?

Hello-ello-ello-ello-lo-o-o *fades off* ?