Friday, December 7, 2007

Let it SNOW!!!


Two down, two to go, and it turns out that my study patterns don't change no matter what side of the globe I'm on.

So Tania told me that I say the same thing in every post, and she's mostly right. I'm beginning to get the feeling I've spent too much time thinking about what's to come, and not about what's happening right now, but oh well, I am enjoying myself, and it is most awesome.

So I've spent the last week or so being very busy. Spent all weekend and half of Monday doing my group project for Software Engineering. It's a project that forced me to use an IDE, and I guess it works ok. Very bloated, and my computer hates it, but oh well.
My Project Group

Our project worked ok, I was quite impressed that it all came together well, and it didn't crash during the demo, which was nice.

Friday night I wandered into the Computer Science Beer Garden. As it turns out, the computer science geek stereotype has merit. A bunch of them sat down and started playing Mao. You know, the game where you can't talk. So there's a bunch of cheap beer, the last day of classes, and you start playing the most antisocial game you can think of?

But that wasn't the worst of it. The game got so serious, they were standing up and arguing over what card was put down first, in what order, and what the rules are (which is kinda stupid, because you're not allowed to tell people the rules). It got to the point where they called someone else over who was apparently the "Guru" and got him to clarify the rules.

Who says computer science people aren't nerds?

But on Saturday, it snowed. Like, it really snowed. Snow everywhere. Absolutely beautiful.

Photo:
And Photo:


Unfortunately I spent the whole day indoors doing that project, although we did go out for sushi for dinner, which was nice.

Sunday it snowed more. It really really snowed. Again it was awesome. I got to throw snowballs, but unfortunately I still had to do that project. The snow was deeper and pretty awesome still. I love the snow. It was rather cold though =P


And one ugly Snowman (I didn't make it... in fact, I don't know who did)

Monday the snow had washed away, and it got quite warm. We did our presentation, which was pretty good and then I did a fair bit of study.

Monday night I went to Stanley Park to see the Christmas lights. Apparently there are more than a million, and although I was a little skeptical to start with, when I got there I believed it. =P
On the way to the lights

$7.50 for a little train ride was a bit much, and it was raining instead of snowing (one day late!), but it was kinda cool. Lots of lights, and a good way to take a break from study. I also had a huge pretzel, which was way too salty (I gave half of it away), and apple cider, which was too sweet, which I gave more than half it away. All in all a nice and wasteful night.


Tuesday was study once more.

Exam at 8:30 on Wednesday morning. It's amazing how much less formal it is here. We had the exam in a lecture hall, walked in, sat down and talked until the exams were handed out. Did the exam, left as we felt, I even forgot to turn off my phone.

Much less threatening. It was even better today (Thursday) when we were at first kept out of the room while they set out the exams. They set it out in alphabetical order for some reason, and we were told we could start "When we found our exam."

I almost missed the "Please note the emergency exits" and "Has anyone not handed in their exam *lots of noise here*" routine of the exam.

We've also managed to set a record here. My Wednesday exam was marked and results put up on WebCT (kinda like MyUni for Adelaide people) less than 10 hours after the exam had finished. That's efficiency right there.

As it turns out, I blew my chance to get more than 100% for the course, but still did pretty well. Especially given the amount of study I did.

Today's exam could've been much, much worse, and couldn't have been any better given the amount of study I did. Not sure how I did, but I'm pretty sure I didn't fail =D

And now I've got a few days until my next exam. Should probably do a fair bit of study for it, but It gives me a little while to wind up my time in UBC, buy some stuff, and things like that. The worst is hopefully over.

Still haven't sorted out what I'm going to be doing post-UBC, but I'll get that done in the next day or two.

And that's about it for now. I shall post again hopefully fairly soon.

Take care =) (With a polar bear)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

uhh... yay for rhyme? >.<

But... SNOWWW... I've been pining for the snow a bit. I want to go skiing... =(

(I'm home now though, that's pretty good =D)

When do you get kicked out of college?

You can get more than 100%? Does it go on your transcript like that?

We didn't get told about the emergency exits in our exams. That could have been ugly in the case of emergency.

Mao is a great game. Good for any time of year.

Umm... Anyone want to proofread my report for me?

I'm tiiired...

(Yay first post... (I think I'm winning the tally here))

Anonymous said...

Meh I got mentioned IN the blog, I totally win :P *victory dance to the sound of we are the champions*

I like snow ^.^ Or the look of it anyway hehe. That snowman seemed a bit evil though, how come u didn't make one :P Doi.

Lovin the come hither look in the last foto rofl.

Brendan u have reports to do during holidays? :S

PS Justin I didn't spam ur facebook cos my net decided to be uber mean :P Posting is the same diff tho

Justin said...

Rhyme was chucked in there as an afterthought when I moved the pictures around.

I'm leaving college on the 18th (2 days before I hafta) to go to Edmonton. Not sure what I'll do there, but then I'm going to Toronto, and then to New York, and then I dunno where.

I wanted to find out what happened if I got over 100%. As it turns out, that's not going to happen. Oh well...

Brendan wins btw =P

And I didn't have time to make snowmen =(

Anonymous said...

IDE rings a bell...but what is it? Yay Mao...I forgot that you couldn't talk in it, that's a bit crazy. At least you can chat in Bartok...unless you've invented a new rule...
I like the fact that they have a Guru though. I can imagine some crazy tradition forming around that - the Guru training up a first year CS student and teaching him the Mao skills, so that he too can one day become great Mao master.

...CS has its own beer garden?

YOU ARE IN NARNIA!!!
Why didn't you tell me?
(see the lamppost photo)

I quite like the snowbear/dog/thing. It reminds me of the armoured bears in Northern Lights...which comes out as a movie very soon! yay!

Christmas lights yay.

Don't forget that "a copy of the exam rules is found on the back of your answer paper", (or the even older "if you wish to see a copy, please raise your hand now"). And of course, our favourite, "mobile phones, and other unauthorised electronic devices are not permitted in the exam venue. If you have these items, please make sure that they are switched off and placed in your bag, not in your pockets. If found, these items will be confiscated"

10 hours...that sounds like Charlesy marking! (Also the possibility of greater than 100%)

I would assume, btw, that post-UBC you do UAD. :P It must be nearly Christmas, for jokes like that to come out...

p.s. nickname makes me want to write 'Schnook', but since I've gone with 'James' for all the others...

Justin said...

The "CS Beer Garden" was a once-off event in the "Reboot Cafe" which is just a bunch of chairs and tables and couches in a fairly large area. People often gather there and study and stuff (and/or sleep on the couches).

So not really a Beer Garden per se, just an event called the Beer Garden.

I want to see the Northern Lights actually, I should get around to it sometime, quite possibly before I leave. Hmm... or I could probably download it, but I think that's one of the movies that I actually want to see on the big screen.

And yeah, I missed out on all those comments. Kinda sad. Apparently an exam was canceled the other day because of an explosion in the Chem building where the exam was being held. Kinda funny =P

And I think its been permanently cancelled as well, which is a bit weird. Or they're gonna have an optional one or something.

And I've actually got no idea what you meant by UAD... =P