Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Hole, Australia

Greeting from the The Hole, also known as Canberra.

Quick post which will be edited later - probably with pictures - as I'm about to be kicked out of the library.

Safe to say, I made it to Canberra ok, and have just finished a (fairly nice) Chinese meal with Brendan. Flight was fine, delayed but still made it here on time.

Um...yeah, about to be kicked out, post more later.

UPDATE (Friday 17/8 12:30pm):

Ok, I'm back. After we got back to Brendan's room, I pretty much just stayed there, called a few people, watched a bit of tv on my laptop (the reception is unbelievably good in his room), nothing particularly exciting (not that calling people isn't exciting).


I'll jump back to yesterday afternoon for pictures. Mum and Dad took me to the airport, where I got through with 25.7 kg of luggage (technically allowed 20, actually allowed 25... he rounded down). Slightly teary goodbye, and onto the plane at scheduled take-off time.


Plane made good time. The pilot was a bit entertaining. Instead of the normally dreary and scripted announcements, he dressed them up a bit "Smoking is prohibited at all times on this flight, including in the bathrooms, which are fitted with very sensitive smoke alarms and make a very loud noise."

On the flight I also learnt that you should never give little kids Pringles on a plane (or, possibly, anywhere). The man across the aisle from me was travelling with his two small kids, who were being kids and restless through the whole flight. The refreshments trolley came around, and after spending $12 on 3 small tins of Pringles and a coffee, he proceeded to give each of his children one tin, and open it for them. Apparently kids don't like to eat Pringles - they like to mash them into the table. End result - two very greased up tables and crumbs all over the floor.

And I'd learnt something half an hour into my trip =D

So made it to Canberra. Got off the flight very quickly (yay for opening up back doors) and got my luggage very quickly also. Had a little bit of trouble trying to find the bus to the city, but managed to in the end, and got there for $3.50 - I was impressed =P

Like I said before, dinner with Brendan at a Chinese Restaurant called Hidden Dragon (not Crouching Tigers to be seen), and lugged my suitcase around Canberra getting back to his College. (John XXIII for any AChO people who may be reading this).



Spent the night making a few phone calls, looking at a few of Brendan's photos and catching up with Brendan.

This morning Brendan had a lecture at 9. I woke up about 9:15, had a shower, a piece of toast that Brendan stole from breakfast, and met up with Brendan after his lecture and walked around the city with him. Through the shopping centres. Bought a new camera bag (after I bought one on Wednesday for $30) for $4, so I wasted $30 :( It's a crumpler and it was cheap, so I bought it. I'd seen the same one for $25 on Wednesday, so it was a good buy, I guess.

And that brings me to now. I'm waiting for Brendan to come out of another lecture, sitting on large concrete steps in the centre quad-like thing. It's sunny, and I can't really see my screen, but oh well. Off to Sydney this afternoon (bus at 3) so I'll post again from Sydney probably.

Seeya all then =P

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I likies fotos :D U're a good promiser hehe. Whats wif the foto of windows :S How come the camera bag was so cheaps? I knew u wouldn't survive long without net hehe

Anonymous said...

I likies fotos :D U're a good promiser hehe. Whats wif the foto of windows :S How come the camera bag was so cheaps? I knew u wouldn't survive long without net hehe

deadpo8t said...

how do you watch tv on your laptop? labpixies?

Anonymous said...

USB Tv tuner :D

Digital TV which sometimes works

Anonymous said...

I'm not an AChO-er, but I like John XXIII too. Special memories of one of the common rooms too, as we watched the end of the Adelaide test there at NTE last year. Also, we practiced a Nativity play on the walkway between the main dorm area and said common room.

Hooray for pilots with a sense of humour!