Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Truth conquers soley by force of its own truth entering the mind gently but with power

.... or Veritas vi Veritatis.

Ok, so that had nothing to do with this post. But it is the motto of John XXIII College (the one that Brendan's staying at). Very concise, right? =P

So shopping in Canada sucks. By shopping I mean buying stuff. Two reasons:



1) Canada has 1 cent coins. One cent coins are bad. Very bad. They also have 5 cent coins, which happen to be bigger than the 10 cent coins, but only slightly smaller than the 25 cent coins. And then 1 dollar and two dollar denominations. This leads to me being very confused while paying for stuff.

Before dinner I had 16 one-cent coins, 25 cents in 5 cent coins, 2 ten-cent coins, four 25-cent coins, a dollar and three twos. My wallet was very full. Then I had the bright idea of paying the majority of that for my meal tonight (Beef Brisket and Wonton Noodle Soup if anyone's interested - not particularly good - the fortune cookie note is in that first picture). Meal was $6.10, so I left a small tip, maybe 20-30 cents or something. I got rid of all my 1 cent coins =D Unfortunately I then made a purchase of $3.51. I now have 4 one-cent coins =(

One cent coins suck.

2) TAX. I don't mind paying the tax. I really don't. It's the fact that sometimes in a shop, they list the price tax not included, and sometimes they do. So, in actual fact, I have no idea how much my purchase is going to cost me. On top of this, apparently there are two taxes, a 7% Provincial Services Tax, and a 6% Goods and Services Tax. I have no idea when either of these apply.

However, this doesn't explain why I was charged 12 cents on item "PET ENV" and 60 cents on item "PET DEP" when I purchased some water with a listed price of $2.79. This makes me confused.

Anyhow, managed to bus it into Vancouver today. Well, by into Vancouver I mean into the city where the shops and stuff are. Poked around a bit, but didn't really do too much. Found the Art Gallery and the Library (another cool looking building), but it so happened that the Librarian staff were on strike. And yes, I was considering going inside =P Art gallery was also considered, until I saw the $14 admission fee.


Library
Art Gallery

Walked around what I reckon was a main street of some sort, and had my first Japanese Meal in Canada. Unfortunately I was slightly underwhelmed but it was fairly cheap, and I had a "Blueberry Watermelon Wisdom" juice, which gave me two helpful hints: "Foresight is like hindsight with a future" and "Seek the truth and spit out the seeds." No idea what they mean, but oh well =P

Also doing the jet-lag thing at the moment. Thought it wasn't too bad, even though I woke up at 3 am yesterday (I got on the computer for an hour and went back to bed). Unfortunately that wasn't the end of it, and I woke up at 5 am this morning, and didn't go back to bed. Had a nap this afternoon though, so I'm semi-awake.

And as promised, pictures of my room. I tidied everything up by shoving it into those nice big drawers.

That one's from my door. Bed with nice blue bedsheets, table's pretty good.


From the other angle, above my bed. That's the closet, which is a little older, but that's hardly a problem.

And that's it for today. I'm gonna sleep soon I guess. Don't know what I'm doing tomorrow...

[And apologies to all those who I left hanging last night. My internet died and it turns out I hadn't set it up properly. My bad =P]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can u not get "Foresight is like hindsight with a future" >.> thats actually pretty cool :P If I can work it into a conversation before I 4get I will :P
U took down fotos :( I like the big ones with white borders actually, they looked cool in the last foto :P

Anonymous said...

I would've thought that the thing to do with the seeds of truth was to plant them, water and feed them, and tend them lovingly so they grow into great trees of wisdom to deal with the future. Instead, all you've got is jet-lagged hindsight to look after you.

And, of course, my stunning insights ;P

I want a pet department for 60 cents, and a petroleum and environmental engineer for 12 cents. And, while we're on the topic, at least we were sensible enough to have 2 cent coins.